Friday, October 16, 2009

a little house

so....to continue.....Mom and Dad started life with me in a little house on Circle Drive. 1801 Circle Drive. I even remember the layout of it. It's kind of a funny thing with me; I can remember details of my life from when I was 2 and 3 years old, but I can't remember what I did yesterday or what I am supposed to do tomorrow. Go figure. I can remember Mom giving me a bath in the kitchen sink and what an incredible treat it was. Lots and lots of bubbles. I found out later that it was because she was pregnant and just couldn't get down low enough to the bathtub anymore. I remember a little garden back behind the garage that Mom and Dad kept for a while and the clothesline out back that so many diapers hung from and the wind blowing them in the autumn. I remember the smells that came from the little kitchen stove and how I loved being there in that little house with the posts that my Dad made on the front porch. Last time we drove past a few years ago, the posts were still there. I remember so many things about that little house....I can even recall where the telephone was. In these types of houses, they would sometimes build a little cubbie in the hallway for the phone. I remember my mother would talk and bend over it and laugh when she spoke with her friends. I have wondered if her laughter is somehow still drifting around somewhere in that little place....perhaps whoever lives there now hears it, and thinks they're hearing spirits? :) Just a silly thought!
In the front yard was a gentle little slope I called a hill. I would roll down it and then get up and roll down it again. Great fun! I did this over and over again. Years later, when driving by with my mom as a teen, I exclaimed, "They cut the hill down!". Mom laughed, because there had never been "a hill". It had only looked like one to such a little girl.
There was an "incident" that occurred once worth noting, I guess. Bad sentence. I don't care. I got lost. I was only about 2. Mom was getting ready to go up town. I was getting a little cross and impatient. She tried calming me and told me just to wait, she just needed to get me a sweater and put on some lipstick and we would go. That's exactly what she did, but when she was ready with my sweater, I was nowhere to be found....or so they thought. Mom started looking and calling for me, then she checked the back screen and noticed the little latch on it was undone. She was sure I had gone out and wandered away. I guess at that point she was looking behind bushes and asking neighbors if they had seen me, and when she asked one neighbor having trouble keeping the tears at bay, he decided it was time for some action. Everyone got involved looking for a little girl, calling her name, until finally the police were called. Mother was about to lose it, and I think point of reality was just about gone when Mr. Tamplin, on his way out the front door, noticed a little foot slide out from under a chair in the living room. You see, I was very tiny. I had crawled behind a big chair and gone to sleep. No one saw the sleeping child under the chair. Mom said she just sat and held me and I never woke up through all the excitement.
I can even remember the way the lights reflected on the wall at night when the cars would drive by. I didn't like going to bed. Many nights Mom and Dad would sit on the porch and I would hear them talking outside my window. It made me jealous that they could do that and I was not invited. Summer nights were so .... I don't know... somehow, they seemed different then. Maybe because my child's view of the world was so full of wonderment, perhaps. I didn't worry. I was just happy.
I could find a way to go to sleep, however, if the baby, Cathy, dropped her bottle on the floor out of her crib. If I heard it hit, I would find it, and take it to bed myself to finish it off, and fall asleep with it. Cathy kind of destroyed my plans. She took my high chair, too. My cute pink high chair that Mother told me I was suddenly too big for. I remember sitting in it and showing Mom that I STILL fit just FINE. I just couldn't understand why that baby had to take my chair. It was mine. Oh well....I did end up liking her. She turned out to be pretty darn funny and awfully cute to boot.
We moved from the little house when Philip was about a year old or so. We just plain grew out of it, but I never forgot it, and I am so glad that I have retained the memories. The pretty teenage girl across the street, Janice (Ja neece) Tamplin. I had a terrible nightmare about her being flushed down the toilet once when I was about 2. (What is it about toilets that is so scary to little ones?) The two girls next door, Barbara and Donice. Kathy Stephens lived down the street. Her father was my dentist, and I loved him. I think he is the reason I am not afraid to go to the dentist after all the work I've had done....he was so funny, and I thought he was just so cute....I guess I had a huge crush on him.

1 comment:

  1. Lisa,
    I think it's wonderful that you are writing your life history!
    Rachel

    ReplyDelete